We encourage all our students to strive for academic excellence that reflects critical and creative thinking.
We demonstrate our commitment in many ways, including the following:
- Providing challenge and support to all our students in courses that prepare them for the future they want
- Commitment to continued improvement through professional staff development and training for our teachers & staff
- Involving parents and students through our site council, student council, and parent council
Our hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:00p.m. for students (Zero hour 7:30-8:25 a.m.) and 8:00a.m. to 4:00p.m. for teachers.
Our Vision: Washburn is a destination school of excellence for students from all backgrounds.
Our Mission: Through intercultural understanding and respect, Washburn High School’s mission is to ensure students’ academic and social growth in an environment that fosters active student involvement while nurturing compassionate life-long learners and global citizens
201 West 49th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55419
Principal Dr. Emily Lilja Palmer
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Washburn is an Authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School with a rigorous academic program that prepares students for college, career and life. The IB Middle Years Programme provides a solid foundation of inquiry and critical thinking for all students in grades 6-10 at Justice Page MS and Washburn HS. In 11th grade, students may opt to participate in the Diploma Programme (DP), which focuses on rigorous liberal arts coursework.
Washburn also offers Advanced Placement courses and other college credit option courses, in addition to PSEO.
At a Glance
- IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) and Diploma Programme (DP)
- College credits through IB, AP, CIS, PSEO, and others
- World languages: Arabic, ASL, French and Spanish
- Special Education services in levels I-III for all disabilities
- Mainstreamed and individual services for English Learners
- All MPS athletic teams and over 40 after-school clubs & activities
- Arts programming includes theater, band, orchestra, choir, guitar, piano, studio art, ceramics, drawing and painting courses
- Transportation: High School Go-To Pass for MTC